Saturday, March 28, 2009

Kiss that baby for me...

Above are his famous words that I will always remember him by...

I have to write about this. Let me first tell you about the man in this post. I met him a few years ago at the office where my husband works. He and my husband have known each other for quite some time. He is the nicest guy that I have ever met. Really. Every time I saw him he had a smile on his face and a kind word to share. He always asked and went on about Ami and would express what a joy children are. If Ami was not around, he always ended with "Hey, Kiss that baby for me."

About 3 weeks ago now, Adam and I saw him at the gas station. We couldn't pass up the opportunity to talk to him. He's just that kind of guy. And, as usual, we are greeted with a big smile, a few fun stories and a "hey, Kiss that baby for me." As we drove away I commented on how I always like to run into this man and how I wanted to meet his wife...they must be the perfect couple.

So, you can imagine my surprise when Adam came home from work this past Monday and told me he had some of the worst news to share with me. I asked if he was ok and when he said he was I immediately asked if everyone was ok at work. Adam finally had to put his hands on my shoulders and said who the news was about. I immediately thought the worst had happened to him and felt sad. You can imagine my sadness/shock/confusion when Adam said "Momma, he shot and killed his wife, stayed with her all night and in the morning set the house on fire and turned himself in."


For awhile, all I could do was look Adam in the eyes. I couldn't move, couldn't think. Of course after a few minutes I just started crying. I was hit with emotions I didn't think I could have all at once. We had just seen him, talked to him. No way could it have been him, it must be someone else. How could the guy I thought was the nicest, most uplifting, compassionate, thoughtful, caring, funny, handsome man do something like this? How? Why?


The rest of that day was gone. I felt sick to my stomach. I felt confused. I felt helpless. I felt betrayed. I felt even a bit silly for feeling all those things. Heck, I didn't work with him. I'm not part of his family. In fact I ran into him probably only a handful of times. But those times with him were happy, uplifting and I always left with a smile on my face.


It has been a week and I still can't fully grasp the whole situation and that it really happened. I pray for him and the families involved. They paper said that he said that they got into a fight. Only God knows the full story. I know that it is going to take awhile to fully understand. Ok, I may never understand his actions and how I may never see him again.


While I put this whole situation into perspective, it does help me focus on how life is so precious. So, when I get stressed out over life...Adam being gone, Ami fussing, Jukka going nuts, my head hurting, feeling down, etc. I will always remember his words and I WILL "Kiss that baby" and be thankful for everyday with my family. *sigh*

No comments: